Sunday, September 23, 2012

A Public Intellectual of Today

Jon Stewart would be my number one public intellectual. In my previous post, “Pro Posner” I suggest that pundits today have political agenda’s they are driven by. The consequence of this can be an uninformed public. I appreciate Stewart, as I believe he attempts to inform the public, while not necessarily pushing his own political agenda. I realize that this can be easily criticized. Stewart clearly leans left, so how can one argue that Bill O’Reilly has agenda and Stewart not have one? Stewart uses valid arguments and reason to address critical issues.

I did confront the issue of evoking stereotypes and emotions in my previous post as well. If anything, Stewart tries to evoke a desire in the people to understand issues of all kinds, act based on the truth and think logically.

The video posted below demonstrates everything I just said. :-)



 

No comments:

Post a Comment