Thursday, September 27, 2012

On the Topic of Personal Responsibility


I am taking two classes this semester at North Central and in the last few sessions of the other course I am in, we have had discussion on the notion of personal responsibility. I like the idea of personal responsibility for the most part. One is responsible for oneself, essentially. A problem seems to arise though, when an individual is not responsible for himself.
Consider the context of this discussion –healthcare.
If an uninsured person chooses to live an unhealthy life and down the line, they are diagnosed with a treatable but expensive disease, is this person entitled to healthcare? My first inclination is that most people would say “no,” but I have been wrong before. Regardless, my problem goes beyond this.

Why is it that the majority of us (again, I'm just guessing) would say no? Why not consider helping this individual, even if the state they’re in, is of their own making? They may not deserve healthcare, but I would argue that it’s not about deserving. It’s about society’s attitude towards helping people in need. The boogieman has been built up. The political spell has been cast, I suppose. We demonize the individual who uses recreational drugs, who has weight issues, who drinks too much, yet, couldn’t one argue that plenty of us live in unhealthy ways?

Saying, if you don’t live this way, then you don’t get help’, seems to be the wrong route to take.


**(This blog has a number of holes in it. I hardly know my questions and I don’t know the answers, but I know I am unhappy with the suggestion that one person could be more deserving than the next when having access to healthcare. It just doesn’t seem right. But what is right and what is fair? I don’t know)**

1 comment:

  1. Jacqui, this really is a complex issue, isn't it? I appreciate your honesty. It's especially timely when Mitt Romey was recently recorded saying that nearly half the nation is made up of people who are unlikely to ever “take personal responsibility and care for their lives.” ouch. Clearly, our system is broken. I have insurance and I often avoid going to the doctor because the out of pocket costs are still too high for me. Until we can figure things out, at least we have Dyson :).

    ReplyDelete